Pages

13 November, 2011

Herb baked chicken & a new oven!

Once I had the chance to get back to Kuantan, my mind enveloped the thought of using the new oven my mom redeemed with gift points few days before I entered uni. The frequency of thinking about that oven actually exploded (my translation for growing exponentially) when an ex-junior of mine linked me to an article with 50 chocolate-y recipes, which I thought was dragged there entirely from Nestlé's site.

Found this Herb Baked Chicken Breasts from southernfood.about.com.


So I asked my mom to reserve me two chicken breasts*, a red onion and a lemon. My mom favours red onions over green so I always substitute the green ones with red.

I always slacked off eventhough I am super interested in making baked meats. I didn't know which recipe to use, this time I just depended on my luck. It's easily adaptable, I just replaced anything I didn't have in hand and I used the small Italian herbs jar sold at most Malaysian markets.

*Because I misread one chicken breast halve as one chicken breast

What I did:
Enough cooking oil (I think it was canola) to cover two chicken breasts
2 chicken breast halves (boned)
1 red onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of half a lemon
Powdered white pepper
Italian herbs

Cover thawed chicken breast halves, red onion and garlic with oil mixed with lemon juice. Spread herbs and powdered pepper over oil. Cover and marinate overnight.


1. Bake chicken breast halves at 200°C for 30 minutes. (I chose the uncut part as the upside.)
2. When nearing the 30 minutes mark, boil the marinade.
3. Once 30 minutes is over (mine appeared to be cooked, with the edges a little browned), bask the chicken with marinade. Rub both sides with salt.
4. Bake for another 10 minutes with the downside up.

Didn't wait for the breast to brown because I was actually rushing. Anyway, the halves were thoroughly cooked. And they turned out looking like this:


To be honest with you, I was never a fan of chicken breasts. In fact, from this I learned that baking it won't turn the meat tender too. It was consumable (of course!), and I liked the aroma well. The flavour wasn't heavy enough to my liking though, but definitely worth trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment