Pages

10 September, 2014

Onde-onde.


It's been so long since I last blogged. Excuse my long absence, I just gave birth to a baby boy about one month after my June's Oreo muffins post.

I am not back to baking yet. The only food I make with an oven now is pizza - made using store-bought crust or toasted bread.

So I'm bouncing back to the stove - kuih is now an option! The last time I made kuih could be traced back when I was still in secondary school, attending Life Skills (Kemahiran Hidup) classes. Onde-onde was the recipe my teacher assigned, now I'm remaking them according to my memory and some useful recipes I have found online. (Refer to Nyonya Cooking and My Resipi.)

Instead of using palm sugar or gula melaka, I decided to use 黑糖蜜枣 (literally black sugar honey jujube) my sister-in-law brought back from HK. They come in blocks and can be eaten as candies, with gingery tang! So my onde-onde was filled with gingery sugar instead of the sweet aroma of palm sugar.

I didn't measure my ingredients! The amounts I listed below are just approximations.

Onde-Onde (makes about 30)
2 stalks pandan leaves, cleaned and cut into small pieces
200 g glutinous flour, reserve more for dusting
15 g tapioca flour
Gula melaka, crushed
100 g desiccated coconut (young)

1. Mix together a pinch of salt and desiccated coconut, then steam for 15 minutes.
2. Extract pandan juice from the leaves by blending with 2 cups of water. Strain the juice. Add the juice into the flours. Keep your flour at hand in case the dough is too wet. I used extra to dust the plate where my onde-onde went to before cooking them.
3. Knead the dough. If it is too dry, add some water. Too wet, add some more glutinous flour.
4. Pinch a bit of the dough and flatten it on your palm before placing the crushed gula melaka in the center, then shape into a ball by rubbing it between your palms.
5. Dunk the onde-onde into boiling water and remove them 5 minutes after they float to ensure a melted filling.
6. Strain the onde-onde and place them in a plate filled with steamed desiccated coconut. Cover with a bigger plate and shake to have them covered completely by the coconut. Serve.

I find doing them in batches worked best. Cook one batch of onde-onde, and while cooking, prepare onde-onde for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment