Pages

21 June, 2011

Schokoladentörtchen, hmm?

Svenja. I have been a big fan of hers since my younger days, before PMR to be exact (equivalent to finishing Ozzie Year 9, I think), when I only dared to dream of cooking whilst salivating over her posts.

Yes I joined a Chinese forum before getting involved in anything social on the Internet! :D

The first recipe I used that was shared by her, was the Farmer's Breakfast (or Bauernfrühstück, I couldn't imagine pronouncing it) which was prepared as a... Luncheon. Anyway, I didn't know each dish she made had a proper German name until I saved the meticulously made images for future reference.

Apart from all the other recipes I attempted, what stood out the most was the Schokoladentörtchen which translates to chocolate tarts in Google, but common people would prefer the highly adored names Molten Chocolate, Chocolate Lava or even Molten Lava Cake.

But all the past trials for this recipe were not done single-handedly by me (because I didn't get to take charge for even once and I was such a lazy bum), although I recorded the improvisations done according to the oven in my house.

Svenja's recipe goes like this...


Image links to the original post.

Translation for the second - fifth ingredients is: (50g of) butter, melted; 1 egg; (30g of) caster sugar.


1. Preheat oven at 170°C.
2. Melt chocolate in a bain-marie over fire. Remove from stove.
3. Mix thoroughly with melted butter.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg with the sugar.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and cocoa powder all sifted together). Next add in the chocolate mixture.
6. Grease the muffin pan using butter.
7. Spoon the batter into the tins, filling about 3/4 of the volume.
8. Bake for 9 minutes exactly.
9. Invert the cakes carefully. Serve warm garnished with icing sugar. 


Although, the recipe doesn't promise a smooth flowing lava center like these cakes offered by Domino's.


Besides, adjusting the baking time or the temperature would also make it a greasy, dirty task apart from time-consuming as you keep on experimenting. The drawback of having melted chocolate in your pan is the dish cleaning process. This is the only reason I hate chocolate dishes.



After two trials, the third subject got better with time.  The problem I faced was usually unsolidified state of the wider part. My guess is that the the flour portion has sunk to the bottom of the tin whereas the chocolate flowed on top keeping the boiling point higher, therefore harder to cook.


My third, and the first successful cake looked like this.



I wanted to add on a scoop of ice cream but I was already wearing out from the constant washing and observing.


After the simplest garnishing.


The lava center.


Finally, I offered the subject to daddy! Happy Father's Day to all daddies, single fathers and mothers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment